I-PASS Consultation Program
The I-PASS Consultation Program provides programs, healthcare companies, and institutions with expertise in effecting transformational organizational changes in the handoff process. Our group is comprised of prominent educators, residency program directors, hospitalists, and health services researchers from across North America. We offer expert consultative services for implementing the evidence-based I-PASS Handoff curriculum and process changes in your institution or program. The I-PASS Handoff Study found that following implementation of I-PASS in 9 academic medical centers, there was a 23% reduction in medical errors and a 30% reduction in preventable adverse events – injuries to patients resulting from medical errors.
The range of services will be customized to your needs and can be as simple as providing Grand Rounds or Visiting Professorships to as complex and intensive as an institutional-wide implementation over 12-18 months. After an initial exploratory telephone call, we will determine the scope of our engagement by performing a needs assessment as part of our Assessment Phase. In the Development Phase, we provide a proposal for our engagement that includes an adaptation and implementation plan, customized for your institution. If support with full implementation is desired, we typically use a train-the-trainer model, in which we work with key champions that you identify, training them how to lead implementation of I-PASS, and supporting them as they negotiate the cultural and pragmatic barriers to doing so in a sustainable manner. We plan the initial pilot with your local champions with specified educational sessions aimed at key front line providers and their supervisors. We work closely with project leaders and champions throughout the Implementation Phase, especially in the period leading up to project launch and in the early months following program launch to ensure sustainment.
- Obtain the buy-in and resources from institutional leadership within administration, QI, GME, and IT
- Perform a needs assessment of the state of handoffs within the institution to guide the implementation plan and make the case for change
- Determine how extensive the change process will be? Trainees, specific specialties, provider, or handoff types, or all staff
- Propose time and fees with each phase of the engagement
- Determine who will be champions on units, in patient care services, and in training programs
- Determine how you will implement the curriculum we favor a small pilot followed by waves of dissemination
- Train champions and key leaders on pilot units and within pilot disciplines
- Adapt materials for pilot units and disciplines
- Adapt the curricular materials based on your goals and the extent of the rollout within your institution
- Develop a timeline with milestones and thinking through the logistics of implementation
- Create a faculty development plan
- Determine how you will measure important outcomes relative to your goals, which should include measures of adoption and implementation success
- Develop a plan to make ongoing improvements to optimize implementation
- Develop an institution-wide campaign for education, reinforcement, and sustainment
- Do rapid cycle improvements based on feedback from the initial pilot units and disciplines
For more information and to schedule a telephone call, please contact email@example.com.